Hi! I am Baris Emre ALKIM, a native Turkish translator/proofreader/editor/subtitler living in the UK.
I have been offering high-quality linguistic services in a variety of areas for 20 years.
- BA in Foreign Language Teaching, Istanbul University, 1999
- MA in Translation Studies, Bogazici University, 2002
- PhD in Art History, Istanbul Technical University, 2011
- Post-Editing Certificate, Translation Automation Users Society (TAUS), 2017
- Post-Editing Certificate, SDL plc, 2016
- Terminology Training Certificate, TermTurk & Hacettepe University, 2009
- IT Journalism Certificate, Turkish Informatics Foundation (TBV) & Association of IT Journalists (BMD), 2003
- Freelance Subtitle Editor & Quality Controller (QCer) for the most prominent media services provider and production company (N*****x) via an UK-based language vendor since 2017 (continued).
- Freelance Translator and proofreader for wikiHow Türkiye since 2018 (continued).
- Translator, Popular Science Turkiye Magazine since 2012 (continued)
- Part-time translator, How It Works Magazine, 2018-2019
- Part-time translator, PCnet Magazine, 2014-2016
- Part-time translator and proofreader, CHIP Magazine, 2006-2015
- Full-time proofreader, CHIP Magazine, Windows & .NET Magazine, 2002-2006
Academic Work Experience
- Full-time Lecturer, Translation & Interpreting Studies Department, Cankaya University, Ankara, 2015-2017
- Part-time Lecturer, Fine Arts Department, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, 2014-2015
- Part-time Lecturer, English Language & Literature Department, Istanbul Kultur University, Istanbul, 2014-2015
- Full-time Lecturer, Translation & Interpreting Department, Atilim University, Ankara, 2006-2013
With its almost 1 million registered users, ProZ.com is the world’s largest online translator community. I won three ProZ.com Translation Contests in a row:
- Winner of the 6th ProZ.com Translation Contest – April 2008 (Eng-Tur language pair).
- Winner of the 7th ProZ.com Translation Contest – May/Jul 2008 (Eng-Tur language pair).
- Winner of the 1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest – Oct/Dec 2008 (Eng-Tur language pair).
Please note that I do not participate in ProZ.com translation contests since 2009 because I am no longer satisfied with their voting system.